Monday, December 1, 2008

Stay In School

I taught 6 periods of language arts and math at a middle school today. Teaching wears me out. Most of the kids are great - quiet and patient - while others look for any excuse to get out of their seats and mess around. We had enough material to cover to keep them busy for most of the period, but the last 5 minutes for most of the classes was pandemonium. I need to pace my lessons better so I don't run out of material. Also, when the ruckus starts I need a way to regulate. Two ideas for that: 1 - make kids do jumping jacks if they get out of their seats (drain their energy), or 2 - send half the class to the principal's office. Any other ideas out there?

2 comments:

Miriam said...

Well, you can make them stay after the bell rings, since that's really annoying to the kids. Or you can make them pick up garbage from the floor. Some teachers don't let the kids go until the class is silent for a few seconds and some will make us clean our areas and stuff.

Katy and Rex said...

I tell the kids that if they're good for me for most of the period I will let them talk to each other at the end of class. What I do not tell them is that I will only let them talk for the last 2-3 minutes. They are so excited that a teacher will actually let them talk that they are really good and don't get too out of hand at the end. I think that the best age to sub for is elementary school though. The kids still care and want to please the teacher most of the time.