Monday, November 2, 2009

Grapefruit trees

My wife and I happened to be taking a walk by a hospital in suburban Arizona, when we noticed a row of trees bearing ripe grapefruit. In fact, grapefruit fall from these trees to rot on the earth. So, we looked around....no one was watching....and I picked one off. We didn't know if it would be any good, and we even heard someone say that you can't eat this kind of grapefruit, they are "just for decoration." But we kept it until it was perfectly tender and ripe. Then we ate it. And it was delicious.

3 comments:

Miriam said...

I think Lucy did that in an I Love Lucy episode...she climbed a celebrity's fence to get a grapefruit from a tree in his backyard....

Tom,Ana said...

We are thinking about going for a walk with a little backpack, and just picking a couple more. Just another reason to love living in Arizona =D

Ben said...

One time my roommate (in AZ) picked a bunch of "oranges" from the plot across the street from Midwestern U and brought them home. We were pretty excited to eat all our "oranges". Turns out, they all tasted like lemons. It gave new meaning to the old phrase about getting a lemon. I tried to make lemonade but even that wasn't great. I'm glad your grapefruit-swiping proved a better experience.