Friday, February 22, 2008

Mexican electronics rant

It is common to find pirate products in Mexico, maybe because copyright laws don't apply. For instance, "rolex" watches that break after 2 days or "oakley" sunglasses for $3 or whatever. But you can't even trust true name-brand products to be the same.
My Sony Ericsson phone shows the wrong date. Digital cameras here, whatever the brand, are inferior, but more expensive. An extension cord in my kitchen, connected to a small stove, gets super hot after just a couple minutes. I worry that the plastic will melt off the copper if I leave it on too long.
My best example is this blasted computer. It was the cheapest one I could find, but I'm still too ashamed to admit what I paid for it. It's an Acer Aspire L5100, brand new. But the thing overheats if you use more than one application at a time, and shuts off. Plus it has Vista. I am very dissatisfied. Why doesn't NAFTA or the free market or something allow Mexicans to buy what you have in the USA? Any economists or international business experts out there?

No comments: