Thursday, May 28, 2009

Guanajuato





Ana and I went to Guanajuato for a few days. We had so much fun! We stopped in Leon to meet some of her cousins that couldn't come to the wedding. And we got to see everything from the Don Quixote Iconographic Museum to a hotel that belonged to Cantinflas. I learned quite a bit about Mexican history as well. For instance, most Americans might say Mexico celebrates independence on 5 May, and many Mexicans say they celebrate on 15 September. But the most appropriate day to celebrate Mexican independence is 16 September. 5 May commemorates a less-important victory agaisnt the French. 16 September, 1810 was when Miguel Hidalgo ordered the cathedral bell to ring in declaration of sovereignty. September 15th, however, is widely celebrated because it was President Porfirio Diaz's birthday, who served as president of Mexico for about 30 years. And he liked to celebrate independence on his birthday.

2 comments:

Ben said...

Funny you should mention it because in a way I too like to celebrate Independence day on my birthday. But it's not so much that I'm celebrating it as I'm explaining to other people that it's not really Independence Day. You see, my birthday is 5 May.

Tom,Ana said...

That is a good birthday to have, especially for someone who is aware of the misconception about 5 mayo!