Saturday, May 30, 2009

Torta de la Barda

When I was a child, we sometimes had to cook for ourselves. On one occasion, my oldest brother was making a sandwich and did not find suitable ingredients. So he decided to make an "Alwitch," which consists of two pieces of bread and any/all random foods/spices from the refrigerator and cupboard that he could find. I think it had mustard, garlic powder, oregano, baking soda, a slice of ham, and I can't remember what else. This is much like the traditional, unique food of Tampico, Mexico - the Torta de la Barda. This sandwich includes avocado, onion, beans, ham, chorizo, fresh cheese (queso fresco?), shredded beef, tomato, lettuce, sour cream, and a pork rind sauce. So it seems a good Spanish translation for Alwitch might be Torta de la Barda.

3 comments:

Alan and Jeni said...

I'm sure the American version of the Alwich is much tastier - NOT! Glad to see you are having fun before hitting the books again! Give me a call when you are back in the states and we can catch up. - Big Al, creator of the world famous "Alwich"

Alan and Jeni said...

By the way, I tried to make sure that every version of the Alwich included jello powder. Other tasty ingredients included chocolate chips, banana, onion powder, salt and pepper, and jelly, just to name a few. We also tried Alwiches on bagel slices and english muffins, as well as toasted bread. I think the worst one was the microwaved version. The heat seemed to blend the ingredients together creating an Alwich flavor overload.

Ben said...

That sandwich actually sounds really good! It might have one, maybe two too many ingredients, but I'd eat it.